How To Change Your Last Name On Your Social Security Card

If you change your last name, it is recommended that you change your social security card first. This will make name changes with your bank and the DMV much easier. However, you might not know what steps you need to take to change your last name on your social security card.

Updating Your Social Security Card Through The Mail

One of the ways that you can change your name on your social security card is through posting the SS-5 application form and the supporting documents to Social Security. To do this, you will need to complete the form and have the original documents as well as certified copies. These documents will then have to be mailed to Social Security and you will have to wait.

When going through the post, you will need to wait for 2 to 6 weeks for your new social security card and the original documents to be mailed back to you. It is important to note that you will not have any documents for the time it takes Social Security to issue the new card.

When mailing you get a replacement social security card, you will need to provide proof of your current legal name, proof of the legal change of the name and proof of identity. The documents will need to be certified by the organization that issued them and not by a notary.

Updating Your Social Security Card In Person

It is generally recommended that you change the last name on your social security card in person. This is considered easier and you will not have to wait for the full 2 to 6 weeks. To do this, you will need to complete the SS-5 form and have all of the documentation ready when you go to the Social Security offices.

One of the benefits of going to the Social Security office is that you will be given a temporary social security card. You can then use this card to change your name at the bank and the DMV. You will still need to wait around 2 to 6 weeks for the new social security card to be mailed to you.


Do You Need The Marriage License Or Marriage Certificate?

If you are changing your last name after getting married, you may be wondering if you are going to need your marriage license or marriage certificate. This has long been a point of confusion for people who are changing their name. Social Security will generally only accept your marriage certificate because this is the legal document that you are given after the marriage. The marriage license is provided before the wedding and is not proof that a name change has taken place.

Of course, it is important to note that some counties and states will accept the marriage license because they are the same document. If you live in one of these areas, you will still need to provide Social Security with the document that is presented to you after the wedding.